Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
1 C all purpose flour
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
5 TB unsalted butter, melted
1/3 C milk
1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled & halved
1 t vanilla
3/4 C heavy cream
powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Make the chocolate shortcakes. Preheat the oven to 425.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and slat. Add the butter and milk, and stir until a soft dough forms.
3. Drop the batter onto an ungreased baking sheet in 4 equal mounds. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
4. Make the strawberry filling. In a medium bowl, mash 1/4 C strawberries with a fork. Stir in the remaining strawberries, sugar & vanilla & let stand 20 minutes.
5. In a medium bowl, beat the cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
6. Using a serrated knife, carefully slice the cooled shortcakes in half horizontally. Place each shortcake bottom on a serving plate & spoon the whipped cream & strawberry filling on top, cover with the shortcakes top & dust with powder sugar. Consume & enjoy!